Filling out tax paperwork is always a hassle, especially when you come across different types of forms with similar sounding names. Here, we’ll tell you about the IRS Form W-4 and how to fill it out.
Why do I need the IRS Form W-4?
The IRS Form W-4 is required to be filled out every time there are changes in the amount of tax withheld from your paycheck. This form helps your employer calculate the correct amount of federal tax to be withheld from your pay. For example, when you are hired, your family situation changes, or you take out a loan with tax deductible interest, the math is different. Based on the information you provide via this form, your employer will calculate the take-home amount for your paycheck.
It is very likely that you will have to fill out the W-4 form multiple times when switching jobs or making tax withholding adjustments. So, it's better to fill it out once and store for repeated future use. You can add information to this form on any iPhone, iPad or Mac using the advanced productivity tool PDF Expert, the best PDF app to fill out tax forms.
How to Download Form W-4
If you’re being asked to fill out the form W-4 by a customer or client, they will also likely provide you with a copy of the form. If not, you can always download the IRS Form W-4 on your Mac. While there are several websites that host a copy of the form, we recommend downloading the W-4 form directly from the IRS website here so that you always have the latest and correct version of the form.
How to fill Form W-4 on Mac
Follow these 6 simple steps to fill out Form W-4 (2022):
- Download PDF Expert for Free and install it.
- Download the latest copy of Form W-4 (2022) from here and open it in PDF Expert.
- Start by filling out your personal details in Step 1, such as your name, address, etc.
- If applicable, fill out the details in Step 2 to 4, i.e. if you have multiple jobs or if your spouse works, if you have dependents, and if there are any other adjustments.
- Double check everything and save the form.
- Print out the form W-4, sign it and hand it over to your employer.
Pages 2 onwards in IRS Form W-4 (2022) provide additional information about how to fill the form and have Specific Instructions on what each field pertains. However, these are only for your benefit and are not to be submitted as part of Form W-4 (2022).
Common mistakes to avoid while filling out Form W-4
Mistakes are something we all make. However, mistakes on your tax forms can prove to be costly. Many have found this out the hard way — even a small typo in any of the Name fields could cost you big. That is why we have prepared a list of common mistakes to avoid while you are filling out your Form W-4.
- Misspelling your name or SSN in the W-4 form will most likely result in your employer rejecting it; so make sure the information is entered correctly.
- Proper calculation of the number of deductions is extremely important to avoid surprises during the tax season as you may end up owing money to the IRS. On the other hand, if you overreport your deductions, you will end up with a smaller take-home amount in your paycheck, but a larger tax refund at the end of the year which is like giving the IRS a free loan.
- Make sure you select the correct marital status box as it will also affect the amount of tax withheld from your paycheck.
You should keep all the forms in one place for easy organization, for example in PDF Expert on your iPad or iPhone. This enables you to quickly access the forms whenever you need them.
Once again, make sure you provide accurate information on your W-4. If you are unsure of some items, always consult with your financial adviser.