Page numbering isn't just about adding numbers to your PDF file. It's the best way of guiding readers through a document, enabling quick access to the most valuable parts of a massive missive. When it comes to adding page numbers to your research paper or Bates stamping to legal documents, PDF Expert is the best.
Your headers and footers are absolutely editable. Vary their format, position, or text style to spiff up the general appearance of your document. You can also preview them before applying to make sure your page numbers don't encroach on other page content.
There are 4 simple steps to add Page Numbers to your paperwork using PDF Expert. Before you get rolling make sure you downloaded PDF Expert from our website.
- Open your file in PDF Expert.
- Go to Edit PDF on the menu.
- Header and Footer > Add Page Numbers/Add Bates Numbers/Add Text/Remove Page Numbers.
- Choose your setting and press Apply.
Now, let's take a closer look at each tool and see how it works.
How to Add Page Numbers to a PDF
Once you open the Page Numbering dialogue, you should define your page range. It might be the whole document or a particular sequence of pages.
[Trick]. Go to the Thumbnails mode and select a couple of pages. Open the Page Numbering dialogue and you'll see these pages in your page range settings. How does this help you? Some parts of your PDF file can be easily distinguished from other pages. For example, a content part. Simply select those pages, and PDF Expert does the rest.
After that, pick any format of numbers you want: simple or roman digits, letters, Bates numbers, etc.
Avoid numbering of the cover page and start from the second one first.
Adjust the position of your page number using the Layout options. Select the position and fine tune the margins. A small window on the left shows how exactly it looks.
Page number fonts are absolutely editable. Adjust its type, style, size, and color.
How to Add Bates Numbers to a PDF
Bates numbering is gold for legal professionals. PDF Expert can Bates stamp thousands of pages in seconds to help you speed up the course of litigation and minimize your workload for long-term archiving.
By adding a unique prefix or suffix to your PDF, you indicate its relationship to other Bates-numbered documents. To do that:
- Go to Edit PDF > Header and Footer > Add Bates Numbers.
- Type anything desired in Prefix and/or Suffix fields. The prefix appears before the Bates number, the suffix after the Bates number.
- Specify how many digits make up your Bates number in Number of Digits. We set a default number of 2, which generates Bates numbers such as 01, 02, etc.
How to add text to every page of your PDF
You might want to add your first name or firm label to every page of your PDF. This is not a big deal with PDF Expert.
- Go to Edit PDF > Header and Footer > Add text.
- Type your text in the text field and press Apply.
How to remove page numbers from your PDF
You can delete all page numbers from you PDF document in a click. To do that:
- Go to Edit PDF on the menu
- Header and Footer > Remove Page Numbers
Sometimes a page number can overlap other page content. To fix that, click Edit and adjust the position of a particular page number.
Hopefully, this sheds some light on how to add page numbers to your PDFs. Download a free trial of PDF Expert and let’s insert some numbers into your PDF documents.