Outlines or a table of contents is a digital map of your PDF file. It helps you quickly navigate through a book or report without endless scrolling. You can easily add a table of contents to a PDF using PDF Expert. This is a go-to PDF app for Mac, used by millions of people and awarded by Apple.
Download PDF Expert and let’s see how to create a table of contents in a PDF!
How to create a table of contents in a PDF on Mac
With PDF Expert, adding a table of contents to a PDF takes just a few clicks:
- Get PDF Expert if you haven’t done so yet.
- Open your file and select a few words that should link to this page.
- Right-click and select Add Outline Item. The outline will appear on the sidebar and you can rename it if needed.
Here’s an alternative way to create a table of contents in PDF Expert:
- Open the sidebar.
- Select the Outlines tab and click the + button.
- That’s it! The outline will link to the currently opened page.
All outlines in PDF Expert are flexible. You can easily rename, delete, or change their destination with the right-click.
Sometimes your table of contents needs a more complex structure with items and subitems. This is handy for creating a thesis or report. With a simple drag & drop, you can transform any paragraph into a subitem for a particular chapter.
A few tips for creating an effective table of contents:
- Don't overwhelm your text with outlines. Otherwise, they will turn from timesavers into troublemakers.
- Use headlines to create outlines and subitems.
- A short sentence could be your table of contents. Just make sure that it helps you understand what a particular paragraph is about.
Download PDF Expert now and add a table of contents effortlessly!