How to create outlines in PDF file?
4 simple steps how to create a table of contents in PDF:
- Download PDF Expert for free.
- Select a fragment of text.
- Right-click on it and choose 'Add outline item'.
- Repeat for each outline item you want to create.
Outlines or table of contents (TOC) are a digital map of your PDF. They quickly guide you through the thorns of pages to the most important part of the file. So if you work with large books or documents, make sure that your PDF Editor deals with it.
When you navigating through the 300 page book or report, endless scrolling is not what you need. It is much easier to switch between handy outlines. They remind you the content of the paragraph and can be found with a single click.
How to create these super useful helpers
First, you have to decide what application to use. We consider PDF Expert (what a surprise! :-) as the best tool for it. Seriously, outlines is the feature that few editors can do.
There are 2 simple ways how to create table of contents in PDF Expert.
- Select the area of the text that should be a link to this page. Click the right button and select "Add Outline Item". The outline will instantly appear on the sidebar of the App. Easy!
- Open the sidebar, select "Outlines" tab and press "Add item" at the bottom of the bar. That's it. The outline will be connected to the page you work with.
A few more things that might be useful for you.
PDF Expert outlines are flexible. It means that you can rename, change the destination and even rotate them. Right click on your outline and voila!
Sometimes, an interesting part of a book consists of several paragraphs. You can transform every paragraph into sub-items for a particular chapter. It can help you to keep your sidebar clean. Use simple drag-and-drop to do that.
The last but not the least.
Here are a few tips on how to add TOC effectively.
- Don't overwhelm your text with outlines. Otherwise, they will turn from timesavers into trouble makers.
- Use headlines to create outlines and subitems.
- A short sentence could be your table of contents. Just make sure that it helps you to understand what the particular paragraph is about.
Using these hints and the best PDF Editor = PDF Expert, you can simplify your PDF routine. You are welcome to get a free 7 days trial to check PDF Expert out. Please don't hesitate to let us know what you think.