Apple’s iPad is one of the hottest products selling today. It is a fantastic device that’s fully capable of letting you do professional & serious work on the go, without the need to carry around a large and bulky laptop. There have been several arguments made against it being a professional device, but there are numerous examples of people doing remarkable things with the iPad.
And today, there’s no dearth of incredibly feature-rich productivity apps for iPad, such as PDF Expert — an outstanding PDF Editor for iOS, and Documents 5 — the best file manager app for iOS. The PDF Expert app empowers you to do all kinds of edits & annotations on your PDF documents, making it the best PDF editor for iPhone and iPad.
When using your iPad for professional work, you may often need to work on two PDF files simultaneously — usually in a way where you are referring something off of the first PDF and making changes to the second PDF file. PDF Expert makes for an excellent way to edit PDFs on your iPad, but if you have to use a second device to open the reference PDF, it kinda defeats the whole purpose of a powerful iPad.
Apple introduced the ability to open two apps side by side — known as the Split View feature — in recent versions of iOS. This feature allows you to view two different apps simultaneously on the same screen, very similar to what you’d do on a desktop computer.
In this article, we’re going to see how you can use PDF Expert & Documents app together and learn how to view two different PDF files side-by-side on an iPad.
How to View Two Different PDFs Side-by-Side on iPad
- Download & install PDF Expert and Documents 6 from the App Store if you don’t already have them on your iPad.
- First, open PDF Expert and make sure you can locate the file you want to edit.
- Then open the Documents app and open the PDF file that you want to use as a reference.
- Now, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to reveal the Dock. You will see the PDF Expert icon on the right side of the Dock.
- Tap & hold down on the PDF Expert icon, then drag it to the right-hand side of your iPad screen.
- Pull down from the top of the app to enter the ‘Split View’ mode.
- Adjust the divider so that the width of each app is to your liking.
- You can now open the PDF file that you want to edit in PDF Expert on the right and refer the source PDF file on the left in the Documents app.
You can use the same method to view other apps together, such as referring to content in an email pinned in Spark on one side and editing a PDF file in PDF Expert on the right. All of Readdle’s apps have been updated to support the newer features that iOS offers, so you can rest assured that you’ll get the best possible experience using these apps.
Using PDF Expert is the best way to work with PDFs on iOS, and you can get started right away by downloading the app from the App Store for your iPad or iPhone.