How to merge PDF files on Mac
You can easily merge two or more PDF documents, using the best PDF Editor for Mac - PDF Expert.
OS X: Combine PDFs using PDF Expert for Mac
Use these steps to merge PDF documents:
- Download PDF Expert for free.
- Click on the 'File' menu.
- Select 'Merge files' option.
- Select PDF files you want to combine.
- Open a PDF document that you want to combine in PDF Expert.
- Click on the ‘Thumbnails’ icon at the top toolbar.
- Select ‘Append file’ option.
- Select a PDF file want to add to the existing one and press Add.
There is no doubt that merging PDF files on Mac is a core tool for any PDF editor. Normally, you have to open several documents and then copy-paste text from them into a new file as in Google Docs or Pages.
When you do that, there is always the risk of losing text formatting styles or images. This can cause some headaches when you edit your content afterwards. Inserting images, changing font, or deleting odd white spaces and entire lines takes too much time.
That is why you need some sort of real merging. There are two basic ways how to merge PDFs on Mac: either merge pages or merge PDFs into one file. These functions should be intuitive and easy to use.
PDF Expert offers both, including an amazing page management toolset. You will be able to add pages from one file to another, or merge entire PDFs together without even opening them.
This is the most common question. There are plenty of tools to merge PDF files on Mac, and Preview is one of the most popular options. However, there are 3 main disadvantages of merging in Preview:
- It's not intuitive. If it's your first time trying to use it, you will have a hard time.
- Preview loses scripts of your forms when you merge them (gasp!)
- When you merge some large files, a new one becomes way too bulky. This is when the biggest Preview problem takes place: it starts working in slow motion. We've described this issue in our previous article.
When we were developing PDF Expert, our goal was to make merging flexible. It means that you can combine both files and pages. Here are 3 ways you can do it:
- Go to the 'File' menu and press 'Merge files'.
- Be sure to select the Thumbnails mode in your sidebar. Once it is opened, simply drag and drop the file you want to merge into your opened document.
- Go to Thumbnails and use special tool 'Append file'.
Commonly, merging is the very first part of any workflow. After that you can select multiple pages, extract, delete, rotate, share, copy or paste them in the most intuitive way.
PDF Expert isn't the only tool for those seeking how to merge PDF files on Mac, but it's really fast and flexible.
You are welcome to get a free 7 days trial to check it out, and please don't hesitate to let us know what you think.